Holiday visits to the family home are a treasured tradition for many, and for those of us with aging parents, it is a good opportunity to get a first-hand look at their living conditions and ability to care for themselves. As you look for signs of compromised health or happiness, keep a discreet eye out for these telltale signs that they may need help sooner than later.
Home Wellness Check for Seniors and Adults Aging in Place
Signs your aging parents may need help. Inspect and be aware of these potential issues in their home.
Room by Room Checklist of What to Look for When Visiting Family
Problems to Look for in the Kitchen
- Lack of fresh food; signs of reliance on boxed, canned and frozen foods
- Spoiled food in the refrigerator and expired items in the pantry
- Evidence of burn marks on countertop or cookware
- Broken appliances
What to Check in the Bedroom and Bath
- Unorganized, outdated or unused prescription medication
- Out-of-place chairs or other makeshift supports
- Excessive undone laundry
Telltale Signs in the Living Areas
- Burned out lightbulbs
- Excessive clutter or trash in the home
- Piles of unopened mail
- Evidence of sleeping in common areas
Condition of Vehicles, Garage and Outdoor Areas
- Dents, scratches or other unexplained damage on the car
- Signs of delayed maintenance on the home and grounds
These signs at home can be telltale indicators that it’s time to talk to your parents about in home care or continuing care. At Home Transition Pros, we work with families and individuals to create a personalized plan for a new phase of life. Schedule or call (703) 662-3492 today to learn how we can help you plan.
Planning for Downsizing and Relocation?
- Determine financial and practical strategies for your next steps
- Secure the best housing option for your needs
- Sell your property for top dollar
- Manage and move your belongings
Meet with a Transition Navigator in your area!
Contact Home Transition Pros in Virginia for home organizing, staging and real estate services. We help seniors, empty nesters and older adults in McLean, Falls Church, Vienna and Fairfax downsize and relocate to smaller homes, assisted living and retirement communities in Virginia.