Thinking about Downsizing?
Secure vital documents first. If you’re thinking about downsizing and/or moving, putting your hands on your important legal, financial and medical documents should be one of your top priorities. Pull them together early, and you won’t have to worry about losing them during the move.
It’s safe to say most people do not already have all of these documents organized and stored together. We recommend using a vital documents checklist to help identify and organize your documents, and a secure system for storing them permanently. Here we go:
VITAL DOCUMENTS CHECKLIST
1) Download the Vital Documents Checklist by Home Transition Pros
2) Select a secure storage system for your vital documents.
A simple file box may be sufficient, or for extra security, you may choose one of the fire- and water- proof options like this one we found on Amazon.
One of our NAPO colleagues put together this fantastic file system that gives you some guidance to get going on the project, plus keeps it all neat and organized.
Pro Tip: You may want to keep a separate file for medical records.
3) Don’t get bogged down in sorting through ALL of your paper.
Focus on actively searching for the vital documents and check them off the list (we’ve given you space to add your own if necessary). Keep the list handy during and after the project so you know what’s in the file and what’s missing.
4) Once assembled, consider scanning and sharing these files with a trusted friend or family member.
Depending on the number of items you expect to scan (including non-vital documents and photos), you may choose to purchase a desktop scanner. Professional Organizers seem to like the Fujitsu ScanSnap, but you may find that a free app like Genius Scan gets the job done.
5) Original paper copies of Vital Documents should be kept secure and close at hand throughout your downsizing project and your move.
If you’ve managed to pull together all of your vital documents, great job! You can check this crucial step off your list, and move on to the next downsizing job.
We’re Here to Help.
Could you use a hand pulling together your Vital Documents? Or, do you see items on the list that have been misplaced or not addressed? At Home Transition Pros in Falls Church VA we introduce our clients to trusted professionals who can advise you about what may be needed for your situation.
Home Transition Pros Services
Our local experts assist with:
- Legal documents like trusts, estates, medical directives and powers of attorney.
- Insurance matters like long-term care insurance, health insurance, and medicare.
- Business, financial and tax advising
- Paper organizing and document management
Meet with a Transition Navigator in your area, contact Home Transition Pros in Northern Virginia and Washington DC.